Omaha Community Playhouse
Job Title: Development Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Exempt salaried position
Scope of Responsibilities:
The Omaha Community Playhouse (OCP) seeks a dynamic, strategic and accomplished fundraiser who will act as a thought partner with the executive director and OCP leadership team. The primary role of this job is fundraising; however, the development director is not the sole fundraiser for OCP. The duties of fundraising belong to all those associated with OCP, including the executive director and all Board members.
The development director’s job includes but is not limited to creating, planning and working with others to successfully raise funds (and friends) for OCP and the OCP Foundation by:
• Developing effective short-term and long-term development plans for cultivation and solicitation of gifts and pledges.
• Identifying and researching prospective donors.
• Cultivating donors and prospective donors through visits, phone calls, events, publications, etc.
• Soliciting charitable gifts and overseeing appropriate forms of gratitude.
• Soliciting and securing in-kind gifts and partnerships.
• Building and strengthening corporate and foundation relations. Once a corporate sponsor is secured, ensure they are properly recognized and receive all appropriate benefits of sponsorship.
• Lead the fundraising efforts on a major capital campaign.
• Create and execute a planned giving campaign.
• Participate as an integral team member for OCP’s upcoming 100th anniversary in 2024.
• Oversight and direction of grant proposals, follow-ups, reports, letters, case statements, action plans, etc.
• Ensuring appropriate donor stewardship of all gifts, especially designated gifts.
• Coordinating and organizing all fundraising branches of OCP by planning and working closely with artistic, Nebraska Theatre Caravan, Board of Trustees, Foundation Board, executive director and all other appropriate areas to ensure optimum results for OCP efforts.
• Managing the work and performance of the development coordinator.
• Generating content and overseeing facilitation of appeals
• Design, plan and execute donor events including an annual gala and other events with the purpose of raising funds, as well as cultivating and thanking donors.
• Analyze trends in OCP’s development results to guide budgeting year-to-year for contributed income. Monitor progress of budgeted revenue numbers throughout the season to ensure success.
• Work with the development coordinator to effectively utilize ticketing and donor software, Tessitura, for tracking contact with OCP patrons and stakeholders.
• The conduit for all information regarding any fundraising for the Omaha Community Playhouse. As such, this individual will ensure thoughtful and cohesive cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of all relationships on behalf of OCP.
• Keep accurate records of all meetings, strategies, requests, follow-ups and results in the Development Office via Tessitura. The Development Office shall maintain a calendar with all requests, grants, etc. and their deadlines.
• Participate in promoting OCP and contributions to OCP by attending and/or presenting at meetings, lunches or events, as well as assisting regularly with curtain speeches, marketing promotions/materials, and all other publicity activities.
• Serve as the point person for Development-related Tessitura software issues, updates and work. The development director is responsible for ensuring the training of all appropriate Development Tessitura users and their accordance to all Ticket Omaha regulations.
• Supervise the development coordinator and maintain ultimate responsibility for the Development Department’s activities. This includes assisting with gift processing, grant writing, database updates and all other development coordinator duties as needed.
• Must have an open and working relationship with all those associated with OCP and will be candid about their vital role in the fundraising process.
• Oversee compliance efforts.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Prior development experience, preferably in a leadership role.
• Superb communication/relationship building skills to effectively represent OCP in personal and written contexts, internally and externally.
• Familiar with state and federal laws pertaining to fundraising and tax benefits.
• High attention to detail, extremely organized and able to meet deadlines.
• Must be self-motivated; able to work independently and with a team.
• Must have a high level of integrity.
• Ability to master fundraising computer software and maintain accurate donor records and correspondence. Understands and protects the rights of others when dealing with confidential information.
• Flexibility and the ability to conduct multiple projects simultaneously is key.
• Some night and weekend work required.
• A valid drivers’ license and ability to travel within the community with access to automobile/insurance coverage.
• Contribute to an inclusive environment and culture where everyone feels a sense of belonging.
• Share the values of the Omaha Community Playhouse, which include inclusivity, artistic and educational impact, excellence, stewardship and community.
• Knowledge of Tessitura Software
• Grant writing skills
• Experience working on capital campaigns
January 7, 2022