Urban League Nebraska is pleased to provide access to scholarships to make paying for college easier.
On Monday, May 9, the Urban League awarded education scholarships to 27 graduating high school seniors. Congratulations to all the recipients on their hard work and outstanding efforts in school and beyond!
Check out this page for updates and 2023 scholarship application details.
We know how important funding can be in pursuit of an education. That’s why Urban League of Nebraska wants to help you reach your goals with an opportunity to earn a scholarship. Below you will find local, state and national scholarship opportunities that are awarded to graduating high school seniors who want to attend college.
- The general Urban League of Nebraska and community-based scholarships can be used at any 2 or 4-year college or university.
- The Urban League of Nebraska-MCC Scholarships can only be used to attend Metropolitan Community College and is offered in partnership with MCC.
To be eligible for an Urban League of Nebraska scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current resident of the state of Nebraska
- Have a current cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Have completed at least 10 hours of documented community involvement
- Have taken the ACT or SAT
You may save your work in progress, but the process will go smoother if you’re prepared to upload your resume’ and a color photo of yourself when you fill out the online application. You will also need to complete 250-300 word essay online and you will need to access the following to provide to us:
- Official copy of high school transcripts or GED (General Education Diploma)
- Two letters of recommendation from persons attesting to your qualifications and motivation for attending college. We recommend teachers, administrators, or other impactful adult figures. Note: Family members and relatives cannot submit letters of recommendation on the student’s behalf.
- Please note: Additional information may be requested by the selection committee
If you have any questions about the scholarship application, please contact:
Urban League of Nebraska, Inc.
402-451-1066, ext. 129
Urban League of Nebraska Scholarships are awarded to graduating high school seniors to assist in the pursuit of a college education.
In addition to Urban League Scholarships, we are pleased to award these community sponsorships. Your application form makes you eligible to be considered for all.
- Stanley P. Osborn Scholarships
- Charles B. Washington Scholarships
- Aileen and Thomas H. Warren, Sr. Scholarship
- Metropolitan Community College
- Urban League of Nebraska Guild
- Urban League of Nebraska Young Professionals
- Pam Gorham Scholarship sponsored by Hayes and Associates in Business Administration and Finance
- Dr. Michael P. Kern, M.D., Scholarship
To be eligible for these scholarships, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current resident of Nebraska.
- Have a current cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher.
- Have completed at least 10 hours of documented community involvement (physical or virtual due to COVID-19).
- Have taken the A.C.T. or S.A.T.
Students must complete the following sections of this form and upload the documents listed here. You may save this form and come back to add certain documents.
These additional pieces of information are requested by the selection committee.
- Official copy of high school transcripts or G.E.D. (General Education Diploma).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from persons attesting to your qualifications and motivation for attending college. Family members and relatives cannot submit letters of recommendation on the student’s behalf.
- Essay stating your goals, ambitions, and the reasons you should receive this scholarship. (Essays must be no less than 250 words and no more than 500 words in length.)
The 2022 scholarship application time window has closed.
Click on any of these links to access information about these scholarships:
- Creighton University Diversity and Inclusion Scholarships
- Nebraska Department of Education – Scholarships for African American Students
- Union Pacific Black Employee Network Scholarships
- Ron Brown Scholars Program
- United Negro College Fund
- Midland University African American Scholarships
- William Randolph Hearst Endowed Scholarship for Minority Students
- Guaranteed Scholarships
- Easley National Scholarship Program
- Historically Black College & University Scholarships
- International Students Scholarships & Aid Help
- College Board Scholarship Search
For more information regarding scholarship opportunities or the application process, contact a Youth & Education Specialist at 402-453-9730. Fill out this form to receive more information.