Siena Francis House
Plans, directs and supervises the work of assigned staff; cooks and serves nutritionals meals and snacks in accordance with established guidelines and schedules; ensures all meals are prepared and served in a safe and presentable manner; cleans kitchen facilities in accordance with Health Department and other agencies guidelines, including equipment and appliances; maintains inventory of kitchen supplies and food in a neat and sanitary manner in accordance with Health Department guidelines; plans menus and prepares meals for daily/weekly/monthly luncheons, dinners, programs, and shelter that meet FDA Healthy Plate Guidelines and the Nebraska Food Code. Must have the ability to accommodate dietary needs for those who request them.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
• The ability to all of the items below and to teach and supervise people working in the kitchen to do the same. Ongoing training of people in the kitchen is of primary importance to a Kitchen Manager due to constant turnover.
• Ability to put together a staffing schedule for this position and the Assistant Manger’s to cover the entire duration of Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
• Will provide supervision to Siena Francis House staff including scheduling hours/time-off, guidance on daily tasks needed to accomplish food service, feedback regrading work and completing annual performance evaluations.
• Works with volunteers who are scheduled to perform duties in the kitchen. Responsibilities include providing orientation to volunteers, instruction on safety in the kitchen area, and providing feedback when necessary.
• Demonstrated leadership/management skills including problem solving and decision making.
• The SFHS buys very little food so the KM is the point of contact for food donations, large and small and must be able to plan menus in real time as he has to make meals with what we have on hand.
• Arrange and have backup in case a volunteer group serving or bring meals doesn’t show up.
• Ability to use frequently hand-held tools, devices, instruments and automatic equipment.
• A working knowledge of all facets of food production.
• Ability to assign tasks to meet schedule requirements.
• Ability to present information effectively to employees and others.
• Ability to organize, schedule, and complete tasks and activities. A manager needs to be present for all meals until our clients are all served.
• Ability to maintain thorough and detailed records on food and supplies.
• Meets regular and predictable attendance requirements, including scheduled meetings.
• Assists with making complex plans, work schedules and decisions independently.
• Inspects and monitors the quality and aesthetic appeal of product output.
• Models high personal and professional standards.
• Performs other reasonable duties as assigned.
• Ability to efficiently work under time constraints.
• Possesses good organizational and prioritization skills.
• Possess computer skills – excel and word.
• Ability to work with donors to accept food donations in a polite manner.
• Ability to order food from various sources at the best price.
• Able to work independently and with others.
• Superior customer service and communication skills in all areas of the position including clients and staff.
• Willing to undergo drug testing and a thorough criminal history and background investigation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• High School diploma or GED and experience managing and supervising a kitchen required
• Food Manager Certificate required, or willing to acquire upon hire.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is a kitchen setting with varying degrees of temperatures and noise levels.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Siena Francis House provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic that is protected by federal, state or local law.
Siena Francis House is a participant in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For information about the E-Verify program, please visit: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to be successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, and reach with hands and arms. The work environment may have extended working hours, frequent time constraints, and shifting priorities, contributing to physical and mental stress. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
July 21, 2021