Home Health Aide
Akkase Home Health Care
Home Health Aide
The Home Health Aide enables clients to stay in their homes by monitoring and recording the client’s condition and providing support and personal services with consideration of dignity and privacy. Additional responsibilities include providing personal care and hygiene to clients.
Essential functions are those tasks, duties, and responsibilities that comprise the means of accomplishing the job’s purpose and objectives. Essential functions are critical or fundamental to the performance of the job. They are the major functions for which the person in the job is held accountable.
• Follows detailed instructions of the client’s approved care plan along with instructions from the nurse, therapist and/or other professional entity responsible for the client’s overall well-being and care.
• Monitors client condition by observing physical and mental condition, intake and output, and exercise.
• Supports clients by providing housekeeping and laundry services; shopping for food and other household requirements; preparing and serving meals and snacks; running errands; follows prescribed dietary requirements and nutrition standards
• Assists clients by providing personal hygiene, such as, bathing, dressing, and grooming.
• Helps clients care for themselves by teaching use of cane or walker, special utensils to eat, special techniques and equipment for personal hygiene.
• Helps family members care for the client by teaching appropriate ways to lift, turn, and re-position the client; advising on nutrition, cleanliness, and housekeeping.
• Performs measurements and records client information; notifies the RN or Field Supervisor of changing or unusual conditions.
• Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy client environment; maintains security precautions; reports any safety hazards to the Field Supervisor.
• Reports all client complaints to the Field Supervisor and/or Brand Manager
• Maintains client confidentiality and adheres to HIPPA requirements.
• Protects the organization by adhering to professional standards, home care policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
• Attends staff meetings
• Completes a minimum of 6 hours of annual in-service training
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
• High School diploma or equivalent
• First Aid training preferred
• Current CPR certificate preferred
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Experience in the care of children/adults in home, nursing home, or related settings.
• Experience in home management and performance of household tasks, including the purchase of food and preparation of meals.
• Strong communication skills, which include the ability to read, write, speak, and understand the English language effectively.
• Ability to achieve at least a score of 80% on each section of the HCA written examination, which will be administered by H&HR.
• Ability to provide personal care and safe transfers.
• Must be able to arrange for transportation to clients’ homes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Requires ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
• Requires ability to grasp, pull, push, carry or otherwise manipulate objects; ability to perform tasks requiring action of muscles or groups of muscles and foot and/or hand-eye coordination.
• Requires ability to speak clearly and make self-understood effectively in face-to-face interactions; articulate with accuracy to communicate using phone.
• Requires ability to hear and receive verbal instructions correctly, answer phones, communicate professionally with people in situations with some background noise.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES – To perform this job successfully, the employee will demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of the position.
• All employees are required to follow and uphold our Mission, Vision, and Values, Behavioral Standards, Policies and Procedures, The Code of Conduct and The Code of Ethics and Compliance Plan.
• Respect and Confidentiality – Respects the rights of privacy of our clients and co-workers. Ensures cultural differences are respected. Refrains from disruptive and disrespectful behavior which may include, but is not limited to:
• Obstruction of the operation of our organization
• Interference with the ability of others to do their jobs
• Creation of a “disruptive work environment” for our staff
• Conduct adversely affecting or impacting the community’s confidence in our ability to provide quality care
• Attacks (verbal or physical) leveled at any member of Akkase staff, medical staff, clients or clients’ families that are personal or beyond the bounds of fair professional conduct
• Inappropriate comments or illustrations made in client medical records or other official documents impugning the quality of care at Akkase, or attacking specific clients, or our staff
• Non-constructive criticism addressed to the recipient in such a way as to intimidate, undermine confidence, belittle or to suggest stupidity or incompetence.
• Disruptive and disrespectful behavior includes comments that are generated verbally, in writing or electronically in any form including e-mail, text messages, social network sites and blogs.
• Adaptability - Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work, tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
• Applied Learning – Assimilates and applies new job-related information in a timely manner.
• Energy – Consistently maintains high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
• Ethics – Treats people with respect; Upholds organizational values.
• Initiating Action – Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
• Managing Work (includes Time Management) – Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
• Quality Orientation – Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; shows concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checks processes and tasks.
• Safety Awareness –Aware of conditions that affect employee safety.
• Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
• Customer Service: Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality services; is committed to continuous improvement.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Position is required to travel to a variety of client homes and perform in conditions that vary greatly depending upon the client's home environment. Some homes will be clean, neat, and maintained at a comfortable temperature. Other homes may be cluttered, dirty, with an uncomfortable temperature.
Akkase has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
I have read and understand my responsibilities for this role as noted above.
April 27, 2021