Pipe Layer Trainee
Pipe Layer Trainee
The Pipe Layer Trainee is trained in the classroom, on-the-job and while assisting other Construction personnel. The Pipe Layer Trainee must successfully complete all required classroom and field training, written and proficiency testing occurring during or prior to the end of a twenty-four (24) month training period to become eligible for consideration for advancement to the position of Pipe Layer.
1. Install and repair pre-stressed concrete, steel, plastic or iron gas and water mains, gas services and drips, gas and water valves and hydrants.
2. Excavate ground using equipment, tools (picks, shovels, spades, probe rods) or by hand to locate and excavate underground piping systems and facilities.
3. Prepares and joins pipes and fittings to ensure proper fit and function.
4. Backfill, tamp and restore excavations to proper compaction and to original condition.
5. Direct traffic with the use of flag(s) to safely divert traffic away from work area(s).
6. Operate a variety of District equipment and vehicles, to include trucks with manual transmissions.
7. Perform the physical requirements of position (see attached Physical Demands).
1. Assist crew members as directed to ensure work performed is completed effectively and in accordance with established procedures and standards.
2. Maintain/clean equipment and tools to keep in good working order.
3. Communicate with and assist customers, co-workers and management professionally, regardless of provocation.
4. Comply with and understand all pertinent District policies and procedures.
5. Perform a variety of other duties as assigned.
Additional Minimum Requirements
- Efficiently and effectively speak, read, comprehend and write English.
Required Computer Skills
- Experience with personal computers, tablets, and/or other electronic devices to include familiarity with, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word) and enterprise wide software (e.g., SAP).
- Ability to learn new or upgraded computer software as required.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- Have and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A with no restrictions and tanker endorsement; to be obtained within ninety (90) days of being placed in position. Maintain valid license while holding position.
- Pre-employment Background Check, Drug Screen and Physical.
- Hearing Screen.
- Employee(s) in this position are covered under the Department of Transportation Operator Qualifications testing requirements.
- Employee(s) in this position are covered under the Department of Transportation Drug and Alcohol testing provisions. This includes post-accident, random, reasonable suspension and return to duty testing.
Preferred Education, Experience and/or Skills
- One (1) year prior construction experience.
- Work inside and outside in all weather conditions and terrain for extended periods of time.
- Work shift may be extended during weekdays, may also include weekends and call-outs.
- Work in close quarters such as excavated sites below ground level and vaults.
*Please see job posting on our Career site for a full list of physical demands
*Please ensure the application is filled out thoroughly to be considered for this position
An Equal Opportunity Employer “Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation"
March 10, 2023