TSA Kroc Center
The Youth Mentor will engage with young people who are guests in the Kroc Center, helping them build self-esteem, encouraging them to accomplish their goals, and providing them with a nurturing, encouraging environment while supporting and assisting in the development of appropriate programming for this group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support young people in the Kroc Center through the development of healthy, nurturing mentor-mentee relationships.
2. Infuse the 40 Developmental Assets (YADI), educational development and spiritual discovery into youth engagement programming and interactions, and be an active ambassador of these concepts to other Kroc departments.
3. Serve as a positive role model for young people in the Kroc Center.
4. Utilize appropriate coaching and conflict resolution skills in dealing with youth or other guest in difficult situations in order to maintain a productive and safe environment for all.
5. Participate in planning and activities with young people in assigned program spaces.
6. Work to build self-esteem and motivation in young people, while helping set goals and work toward accomplishing them.
7. Assist in developing and executing programming supportive of Youth department goals.
8. Provide support for drop-in activities and special events.
9. Proactively ensure safe and clean program areas for young people and guests.
10. Maintain records and compiling statistics as required.
11. Attend all youth engagement team meetings as requested.
12. The work schedule varies and will include evening, weekend and holiday hours.
13. All other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Education and/or Experience:
1. Participation in or completion of an undergraduate degree in education, youth development, social work, ministry, or related field required.
2. Must have experience working with youth ages 6-12 and older.
3. Must take initiative and need little supervision.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the minimal knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
1. Good communication skills including interpersonal skills.
2. English proficiency required; Spanish language skills preferred.
3. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
4. Exceptional flexibility and ability to work on multiple projects or tasks simultaneously.
5. Ability to collaborate and work within a team.
6. Attention to detail, creative problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to handle confidential matters
8. Strong independent judgement.
9. Intermediate skill with Microsoft Office software, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
10. General computer knowledge is required to access payroll, timekeeping and personal data via a web-based system.
Other Qualifications: Must pass all applicable background checks. Must possess a valid driver\\\\\\'s license from the state in which you reside. Must be approved through The Salvation Army Fleet Safety Program to drive either a Salvation Army or personal vehicle on Salvation Army business.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: First Aid/CPR preferred. Must successfully complete Safe From Harm training as established by The Salvation Army.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the ability to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. This position may be required to lift up to 25 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment is a community center with light to moderate traffic and noise levels. In addition, portions of the primary work facility may be considered humid (natatorium) while other locations (gymnasium) may be considered moderately loud in nature.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
April 8, 2021