Assistant VP Development
United Way of the Midlands
Assistant VP Development
Organization: United Way of the Midlands
Job Title: Assistant Vice President, Development
Department: Donor Engagement
FLSA Status: Full-time; Exempt
Location: Omaha, NE
UWM’s Mission: To UNITE our community’s CARING SPIRIT to build a STRONGER tomorrow.
UWM Guiding Principles:
• Build TRUST in everything we do
• Extend GRACE by thinking beyond yourself
• Show GRIT by bringing it every day
• Be OPEN to embrace others’ differences
• Actively ENGAGE by listening and sharing
• Live CURIOUSLY to learn constantly
As an organization that has been around for nearly 100 years, United Way of the Midlands (UWM) has maintained a long-standing commitment to addressing social injustice by serving the underserved and partnering with other organizations that are striving to create a more equitable community.
The Assistant Vice President, Development serves as a leader on the Donor Engagement team and works closely with the senior team to identify and solicit prospects, work through sales lifecycle with potential donors and generate revenue for UWM key direct service programs such as JAG Nebraska, 211 and UWM special events. The Assistant Vice President, Development reports directly to the SVP, Donor Engagement and helps cultivate and manage relationships with corporate, government, and other institutional partners. This position will drive prospect management, identify and receive leads, create and maintain functional systems for identifying and tracking prospects/donors to meet current and future fundraising goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serves as a liaison with senior executives and department heads, to ensure that organizational goals are met
• Contributes directly to selected aspects of the named priority areas which include, but are not limited to: JAG, 211, Shine Bright
• Oversees prospecting, researches and solicits for major gift individual prospects
• Develops and cultivates successful business relationships with key employees and C-Suite executives, where accessible, in assigned industries and accounts
• Achieves budgeted goals with priority accounts by achieving fundraising goals
• Identifies, cultivates, and engages prospects and donors
• Develops strategies to prospect, cultivate, solicit and grow Leadership Givers in assigned industries and accounts
• Assists with organization of events and initiatives to raise money and other kinds of donations for UWM
• In collaboration with the SVP, Donor Engagement, works on creating event sponsorships, securing and cultivating event sponsors, participation and/or donation from individuals, corporations, civic groups, etc.
• Documents activity in CRM database
• Regularly participates in community events and networking groups to build strong relationships in the community
• Fulfills Community Engagement component of United Way mission by participating in at least one Chamber of Commerce or one professional networking organization
• Develops and implements additional strategies to increase dollars available for investment in community impact areas from assigned individuals/industries and accounts
• Works with SVP Marketing and Communications to create impactful donor-centric materials
• Engages people not only in giving to United Way, but also in advocacy and volunteering to support our mission
• Creates positive image - is enthusiastic, optimistic, charismatic, and can generate trust of donors
• Directly responsible for driving results. Attracts resources (donations, grants, relationships, etc.) to advance impact work
• Driving is an essential function of this position
• Performs other related duties as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated success in fundraising campaigns, sales and/or project management. Strong relationship-building skills (i.e., sales/business development, fundraising, or external customer service).
• Focused development and/or sales experience with applied emphasis on customer relationship building, applied consultative sales skills (ability to tie United Way benefits to partner needs) and demonstrated success with effective listening skills.
• Extensive experience with lead generation, cold call and relationship selling.
• Has existing relationships with leaders in the corporate and philanthropic community in the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro area.
• Experience working with executive level/C-suite and other decision makers within businesses.
• Excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills.
• Outgoing and enthusiastic a must.
• Demonstrated skills using Windows-based software, including Internet browsers, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software. Knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) software a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to tactfully handle stressful situations, negotiate and resolve conflicts, maintain confidentiality and to respect and observe organizational protocol.
• Ability to perform job with integrity, mission, vision, and values consistent with United Way of the Midlands and hold self and other team members accountable for achieving results.
• Effective oral and written communication skills with an ability to relate with a diverse group of individuals or organizations in an effective manner.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
• High-energy individual who takes initiative with a positive outlook who can manage ambiguity and change.
• Manage expectations of internal team members effectively and a strong desire and aptitude to be part of a team environment.
• Experience with workplace giving a plus.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Excellent inter-departmental communication skills
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
• Strong leadership skills.
• May supervise member(s) of the donor engagement team. Would carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree (required) Master’s degree (preferred) from a four-year accredited college or university.
• Minimum of 12-15 years of fundraising or sales experience in either the private sector or non-profit setting.
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Regularly reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
• Occasionally required to walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Driving is an essential requirement.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Shared health, dental and vision insurance
• Generous 401(k) Retirement plan
• Paid vacation and sick time
• Employer paid life and disability insurance
• Professional development assistance
• Tuition reimbursement
• Onsite cafeteria and gym
September 20, 2022