Manager, Corporate and AFL-CIO Relations
United Way of the Midlands
Manager, Corporate and AFL-CIO Relations
Job Title: Manager, Corporate and AFL-CIO Relations
Department: Donor Engagement
Supervisors: President of the Omaha Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
CEO The Nebraska Center for Workforce Development & Education
Director, Corporate Campaign Management, United Way of the Midlands
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: Omaha, NE
This is a hybrid position and thus will serve in a multi-faceted capacity splitting duties and responsibilities between United Way of the Midlands, AFL/CIO, and The Nebraska Center for Workforce Development & Education. Under the direction of the Director, Corporate Campaign Management, they will work closely with the Donor Engagement team, Campaign Managers and workplace employee giving facilitators, and leadership-level volunteers (Campaign Cabinet members). The primary objective is to maintain existing corporate relationships, grow workplace giving efforts through implementation of the use of strong relationships with donors and prospects. Must proactively act to understand the needs of the community and manage associated administrative and database entry requirements. Also responsible for increasing labor support for the United Way of the Midlands campaign, cultivating AFL-CIO/United Way/Nebraska Center for Workforce Development and Education partnerships, furthering current relationships, and fulfilling relationship management responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• A large percentage of daily activity involves the use of the telephone; candidate shall demonstrate a high degree of proficiency with its utilization with proven ability to clearly and confidently articulate the benefits and advantages of each organization with effectiveness.
• Cultivates new relationships while maintaining strong relationships with representatives from partner organizations and prospective partners. Cultivates AFL-CIO/United Way partnerships.
• Manages and sets expectations for fundraising activities through development of goals and strategies on an account-by-account basis.
• Develops annual plan and manages accounts for a segment of the annual fundraising campaign. This includes setting goals and objectives to increase revenue each year.
• Increases labor support for the United Way of the Midlands campaign.
• Secures sponsorships for key events including Blue-Collar Boxing from existing and prospective organizations.
• Meets and exceeds annual revenue goals as well as goals for maintaining personal contact with donors and prospects.
• Executes a plan for new account development throughout the organization and with selected volunteers in the community.
• Executes a strategic Customer Relationship Management program and captures all conversations and observations, and creates entries into an electronic CRM system (ANDAR).
• May lead sponsorships.
• May lead one or more Donor Engagement strategy.
• Fulfill administrative responsibilities, including:
o In consultation with the Omaha Federation of Labor and the United Way of the
Midlands, develops an annual joint work plan based on the national AFL-CIO model.
o Attend appropriate AFL-CIO and United Way meetings and conferences.
o Develop monthly reports including ad-hoc reporting for the Omaha Federation of Labor, The Nebraska Center for Workforce Development and Education and as requested to the United Way of the Midlands, the AFL-CIO, and the AFL-CIO National Community Engagement United Way Project Coordinator.
• Delivery of campaign materials to workplaces across the Greater Omaha metropolitan area
• Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Candidate must be an effective communicator.
• Must feel comfortable and competent making several cold calls to various prospects representing a multitude of industries.
• High level of written and verbal communication skills with attention to detail.
• Must possess the ability to work on concurrent tasks requiring a high degree of prioritization and organization.
• Maintain professional conduct, confidentiality and ethical standards at all times.
• Knowledge of organized labor, with a basic understanding of the local labor movement and its community allies
• Knowledge of the local voluntary sector, with specific understanding of the United Way of the Midlands; and/or organization, mobilization, communication, and/or administrative skills.
• A member in good standing of an AFL-CIO union. With the approval of the AFL-CIO Field Department, a non-union member or a member of an unaffiliated local union may be selected, but must join a Central Labor Council-affiliated local union as a condition of employment.
• Knowledge of Andar or similar (Raiser's Edge) Database software; proficiency with MS PowerPoint; MS Word; MS Excel Spreadsheet software, and Internet browser software.
• English proficiency sufficient for communication with supervisors, co-workers, clients, and customers.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to create reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Driving is an essential function of this position.
• Must have reliable transportation and have a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in Business or Public Administration, or related field or minimum of 4 years industry- specific related experience.
• One to two years related experience and/or training in sales management, account management, community engagement, community development, fundraising, and/or annual fundraising campaigns.
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
• Ability to communicate clearly in person and over the telephone
• Regularly reach with hands and arms and talk or hear
• Occasionally required to walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
September 20, 2022