General Position Responsibilities:
Under limited supervision, the Utility Locator is responsible for locating and marking the location
of Metropolitan Utilities District subsurface utilities, which includes underground gas, water, and
other District-owned piping and infrastructure in order to minimize accidental damage or
disruption of service due to construction excavation activities by District personnel, contractors,
excavators, property owners, and other utility companies.
1. Previous locating experience preferred.
2. Minimum Two (2) years of District experience in Construction, Engineering, Gas Distribution or
Water Distribution Divisions, with knowledge of District records. Previous work history may off-set
3. Qualified as a Locator Operator or obtain qualification within six (6) weeks of being placed
4. Familiarity with computers, tablets, and/or other electronic devices to include, but not
limited to, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word).
5. Ability to learn and use the District’s enterprise-wide software (e.g., SAP), Utility Locate
Ticket Management System, OpenText, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Lemur Pro, as well as
other new or upgraded computer software as required.
6. Must demonstrate the ability to read as-built and other record drawings.
7. Must demonstrate familiarity with the District’s service area, North/South/East/West
directions, major streets and navigate around the District’s service area.
8. Ability to manage own workload with minimum supervision.
9. Possess professional communication skills while maintaining a friendly, courteous and helpful
disposition with co-workers, management, and customers regardless of provocation.
10. Ability to maneuver (remove and replace) manhole covers weighing up to 150 pounds.
11. Transport utility locating equipment weighing 25 pounds from the vehicle to the locating site.
12. Work outside in all weather conditions for extended periods of time, and transverse all types
of locations and terrains.
13. Have and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
14. High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
15. Employee(s) in this position are covered under the Department of Transportation Drug
and Alcohol testing provisions. This includes random testing.
1. Accurately locate and mark all District facilities for contractors, excavators, District
personnel and other requestors.
2. Assist other District staff with locating duties as assigned.
3. Prepare field drawings of services for new gas and water service cards.
4. Obtain location of gas and water appurtenances for permanent record(s) following street paving
5. Provide updates or corrections of information on District facilities to GIS.
6. Observe grade stakes while locating facilities to determine if adequate cover exists; report
insufficiencies as required by policies and procedures.
7. Perform field checks of minor street improvements to ensure relocation requirements are met;
report non-compliance as required by policies and procedures.
8. Check progress of paving and sewer jobs in conjunction with facilities location; report
non-compliance as required by policies and procedures.
9. Knowledge of the Nebraska 811 rules, regulations, and laws.
10. Knowledge and understanding of the OQ Task 35 Line Locating and the Districts Locating
11. Operate a District vehicle as required to complete work assignments while upholding District
Safety and Security policies and procedures.
12. Comply with and understand all pertinent District policies and procedures.
13. Perform a variety of other duties as assigned
*Please ensure the application is filled out thoroughly to be considered for this position
An Equal Opportunity Employer “Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation"
May 5, 2022