Senior Engineering Technician – Operations
Metropolitan Utilities District
Senior Engineering Technician – Operations
Under general supervision, the Senior Engineering Technician – Operations is responsible for project management to include inspecting, coordinating, evaluating, recordkeeping and aiding in contract specification development for contracted water distribution facilities, gas distribution facilities, various District engineering programs, property and building projects, conducting special use studies and administering special engineering projects as assigned.
1. Two (2) years of college coursework in an area related to Engineering.
2. Operator Qualified as a locator in visual corrosion techniques and in gas inspection techniques; or within eight (8) weeks of employment, become Operator Qualified in applicable tasks.
3. Knowledge of the District’s gas and water design and construction practices.
4. Read and understand engineering and architectural plans, aid in developing engineering specifications, and evaluate and make recommendations on bids received.
5. Ability to pay close attention to details, prepare job estimates, manage multiple projects, contractors, and job duties simultaneously while working independently.
6. Proficient computer skills, including Word, Excel, GIS; be proficient at developing “as-built” drawings on the District’s computer aided drafting (CAD) Microstation program.
7. Ability to learn new or upgraded computer software as required.
8. Ability to direct the work of others.
9. Ability to function as an interactive member of the inspection team.
10. Efficiently and effectively speak, read, comprehend, and write English.
11. Excellent written and verbal communication skills to assist customers, other engineering and governmental organizations, co-workers, and management professionally, regardless of provocation.
12. Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively resolve customer complaints and issues as they pertain to projects or programs.
13. Ability to balance field and office duties effectively.
14. Have and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
15. Perform on-call duties as necessary.
16. Work outside in various weather conditions and on rough terrain.
17. This job is eligible for a hybrid in-office and work from home flexible work arrangement.
18. Remove/replace manhole covers and transport survey and locating equipment weighing a minimum of 25 pounds from the vehicle to the job site without assistance.
19. An employee in this position is covered under the Department of Transportation Drug and Alcohol testing provisions. This includes random testing.
In order to effectively contribute to the objectives of the District, the Senior Engineering Technician – Operations, is accountable and responsible for, but not limited to:
1. Aid in preparing specifications and drawings for gas and water distribution facilities and corresponding appurtenances, District property and building renovations, or others as needed.
2. Inspect, administer, and assist engineers to develop specifications for District programs involving sewer lateral cross bore inspections, valve audit inspections, paving cuts, water service reconnections, gas and water contracts, or others as needed.
3. Record as-built drawings through the use of computer-aided drafting, indicating all special features and their locations for both water and gas distribution facilities and corresponding appurtenances.
4. Prepare and process completion reports, change orders, contractor pay estimates, and other miscellaneous paperwork as required for projects or programs.
5. Maintain appropriate permanent records indicating improvements, gas and water service cards, relocations, additions and deletions to the District’s water and gas distribution systems, properties and buildings.
6. Perform duties of project manager on construction projects or programs as assigned, requiring administration of the contract, processing payments to the contractor, field inspections of the contractor’s work; make minor design changes in the field to expedite projects.
7. Coordinate major field changes with the Senior Plant Engineer and the project’s Design Engineer.
8. Perform utility locates on water main, gas main, or other installation projects or programs as needed.
9. Evaluate bids received on construction projects or programs and equipment as directed and make reports and recommendations pertaining thereto.
10. Prepare cost estimates for budgets and construction authorization and approval.
11. Assist in the training process for recently hired engineers, other Senior Engineering Technicians, and consulted inspection staff.
12. Coordinate with consultants working in various capacities to support Engineering projects and programs.
13. Analyze and compare bids and actual costs of assigned projects.
14. Drive District vehicles.
15. Handle stresses related to effectively completing the above referenced requirements.
16. Comply with and understand all pertinent District policies and procedures.
17. Fulfill responsibilities common to all Supervisory, Professional and Administrative positions as stated.
18. Perform a variety of other duties as assigned.
In contributing to the objectives of the District, the Senior Engineering Technician – Operations is responsible to maintain constructive relationships with:
1. Various firms, other utilities, and suppliers in preparing project specifications.
2. Contractor personnel when functioning as project manager for construction projects or programs.
3. Engineering and inspection personnel from other government agencies or engineering firms when inspecting construction projects.
4. District customers when resolving issues on construction projects.
5. Within the District, Accounting, Purchasing, Construction, Stores, Water Distribution, Water Operations, Gas Distribution, Gas Production, Maintenance, Engineering Design, Field Engineering, Drafting, Marketing, Customer Service, Field Services, Measurement, and Law Department employees.
*Please ensure the application is filled out thoroughly to be considered for this position
An Equal Opportunity Employer “Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation”
October 20, 2023