Intern – Drafting
Metropolitan Utilities District
Intern – Drafting
General Position Responsibilities:
Under direct supervision, provides daily project support to Drafting, which includes Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD) data entry, scanning, filing of documents, and other special projects as assigned. Accuracy and attention to detail are critical skills and must be a part of daily activities.
1. Completed a minimum of six (6) months of college level coursework from a college vocational/trade school or a technical school, in computer-aided drafting (CAD) design course of study, or a closely related technical field of study. Must be currently enrolled in a relevant undergraduate program.
2. Previous experience with Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD) software is preferred.
3. Excellent personal computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel. Aptitude and willingness to work with new software.
4. Experience with ESRI GIS software is preferred.
5. Ability to learn new or upgraded computer software as required.
6. Exceptional organizational skills including ability to prioritize work, handle multiple tasks, and adapt quickly to changing work demands and interruptions.
7. Must exhibit good analytical ability.
8. Ability to work independently on a consistent basis is preferred.
9. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in English, to assist internal and external customers, co-workers, and management professionally, regardless of provocation.
10. Work is primarily performed in an office setting amid normal conditions of dust, odors, fumes, office lighting and noise.
11. Employees in this position are covered under the Department of Transportation Drug and Alcohol testing provisions. This includes random testing.
1. Read and interpret maps and engineering drawings, especially as they pertain to gas and water facilities.
2. Process various records and drawings into MicroStation and AutoCAD as needed.
3. Assist with transfer of documents to permanent electronic storage.
4. Learn the District’s CAD and GIS Standards, requirements, and procedures to continually improve personal CAD and GIS skills.
5. Assist with miscellaneous special projects as needed.
6. Understand and comply with all pertinent District policies and procedures.
7. Perform a variety of other duties as assigned.
*Please ensure the application is filled out thoroughly to be considered for this position
An Equal Opportunity Employer “Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation”
October 6, 2023