Metropolitan Utilities District
Under general supervision, the Design Engineer is responsible for all aspects of project and contract management from inception to completion. This includes budgeting, design, preparation of contract documents with specifications and bidding. This position is also responsible for the construction phases of larger, complex, high-profile projects or programs either in-house or with a consultant to ensure compliance with contract drawings and specifications. This position will be responsible for District compliance, process development, and standards supporting District sustainability programs.
1. Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited Engineering program.
2. Registration as a Professional Engineer in Nebraska or become registered within twelve (12) months of being placed in this position.
3. Certified Energy Manager (CEM), LEED AP O+M, or related sustainability certification is preferred.
4. Minimum of three (3) years of experience in Engineering performing complex analyses, design, and project and contract management.
5. Proficient with computer systems and other electronic devices to include, but no limited to, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word), databases, G.I.S., and Microstation CAD.
6. Ability to manage multiple projects of all sizes simultaneously and work independently.
7. Demonstrate proficiency developing, reading, and understanding construction drawings/prints, technical schematics, contracts, and specifications.
8. Ability to learn new or upgraded computer software as required.
9. Strong written and oral communication skills. Effectively and professionally coordinate with customers, contractors, District personnel, outside engineering firms, and governmental organizations, regardless of provocation.
10. Demonstrated attention to detail and time management skills, while working in a fast-paced environment with critical deadlines.
11. On-call/afterhours availability as projects require.
12. Achieve and maintain qualifications for all covered tasks assigned to this position as needed.
13. Work is primarily performed in an office setting amid normal conditions of dust, odors, fumes, office lighting and noises. Regularly work outside for extended periods of time in all weather conditions and varying terrains, be physically capable to enter all types of facilities; jobsites, and other difficult locations for inspections and review of work by contractors.
14. Have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
In order to effectively contribute to the objectives of the District, with respect to larger, complex, high profile projects or programs the Design Engineer is accountable and responsible but not limited to:
1. Coordinate with District divisions as needed for Facilities Management projects.
2. Perform comprehensive review of anticipated projects with other internal District Divisions, Departments, Supervisory, and Operational personnel for preliminary technical and budget estimating of projects.
3. Provide technical expertise and/or assistance with consultants/vendors in performing engineering studies, pre-design reports, and evaluations of product and design alternatives for capital and O&M projects.
4. Develop or direct others in developing plans and designs and recommend actions to improve District facilities.
5. Assist in assigning priority to projects and scheduling for completion of projects within the fiscal year as budgeted.
6. Thoroughly review budget estimates and prepare complete set of construction documents, including bid information, specifications, equipment procurement purchase requisitions, and construction drawings for larger complex, high profile, capital, and O&M projects.
7. Prepare both Request for Information (RFI), Request for Qualification (RFQ) and Request for Proposal (RFP) documents for Consultant, Contractor, and Vendor services.
8. Coordinate consultant designs and services for large, complex, high-profile projects and programs.
9. Prepare project advertisement and coordinate with other District departments regarding solicitation of contractors and vendors as necessary for projects.
10. Provide detailed review, analysis, and recommendations relating to bids or quotes received and resulting award of contracted projects.
11. Conduct detailed reviews and analyses of bids and quotes received for various projects. Provide recommendations for award of contracts and agreements for contracted, consulting, and other contracted services.
12. Coordinate all scheduling of construction activities with awarded contractor and pertinent District personnel throughout entire duration of assigned projects.
13. Perform construction inspection, submittal review/approval, engineering analysis, and preparation of record documents throughout the entire duration of assigned projects.
14. Assist outside consultants in Quality Assurance (QA) Testing of all materials and equipment used in construction projects.
15. Provide and maintain due diligence on all projects from inception through completion regarding sound fiscal responsibility for the use of District funds while maintaining the best interest of our customer rate payers.
16. Conduct inspections; perform engineering analyses and studies; and prepare reports for District facilities managed through the Facilities Management division.
17. Implement, monitor, and report on strategic initiatives defined in the District’s Sustainability Master Plan. Make recommendations and revisions to the master plan to redefine or establish new strategic goals considering changes in business processes; social and economic environments; and technology enhancements.
18. Develop budget estimates for future requirements and needs for projects, maintenance, and repairs of District facilities.
19. Resolve employee and customer problems related to Facilities Management projects.
20. Fill in for the Director, Facilities Management in times of absence and assist as needed.
21. Coordinate and work with the Facilities Coordinator and Supervisor – Building Operationson Facilities Management initiatives as directed.
22. Understand and comply with all pertinent District Policies and Procedures.
23. Fulfill responsibilities common to all Supervisory, Professional, and Administrative positions as stated.
24. Handle stresses related to effectively completing the above referenced responsibilities.
25. Perform a variety of other duties as assigned.
In contributing to the objectives of the District, the Design Engineer is responsible for maintaining constructive relationships with:
1. Contractors performing work for the District.
2. The public, relative to District engineering or construction projects.
3. Vendors, manufacturer’s representatives, and sales personnel relative to materials, equipment, parts, supplies, etc.
4. Engineering and architectural firms, relative to engineering aspects of contracted projects and activities to obtain and provide data and interpretation of drawings and specifications.
5. Personnel of other departments and divisions within the District in providing engineering and technical assistance and coordination of project activities for Facilities Management.
*Please ensure the application is filled out thoroughly to be considered for this position
An Equal Opportunity Employer “Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
September 29, 2023