CAD Tech I
Metropolitan Utilities District
CAD Tech I
Work location for this position is in Omaha, Nebraska with a hybrid in-office and work from home flexible work arrangement
General Position Responsibilities:
Under direct supervision, prepare CAD drawings for gas and water facility construction, enter record information into the Geographic Information System (GIS). This includes researching records for information. The CAD Technician I must successfully complete all training and proficiencies prior to the end of a thirty-two (32) month training period, in order to be recommended for advancement to the position of CAD Technician II.
1. High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
2. A certificate from a college or trade, vocational or technical school indicating completion of a computer-aided drafting and/or design course of study, or the equivalent. At least two (2) years of relevant MicroStation or AutoCAD work experience, as primary job duty, may offset the educational requirement.
3. At least one (1) year of cumulative MicroStation or AutoCAD experience. Experience can be obtained through a CAD course of study or work experience. Recent MicroStation or AutoCAD experience, within the last two (2) years, is preferred.
4. Proficiency with MicroStation or AutoCAD and ability to translate communicated information onto CAD drawings.
5. Geographic Information System (GIS) course work and/or work-related experience preferred.
6. Ability to learn new or upgraded computer software as required.
7. Ability to accept written and verbal instruction; revise and update CAD drawings in collaboration with engineers.
8. High attention to detail.
9. Efficiently and effectively speak, read, comprehend and write English.
10. Experience and skill in operating various specialized software and office equipment including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office, large format printers, plotters, copiers, scanners and phone systems.
11. Ability to communicate with and assist internal and external customers/co-workers professionally, regardless of provocation.
12. Ability to work overtime, including weekends as required.
13. Ability to work professionally and efficiently, with increasingly limited supervision for
14. Work is primarily performed in an office setting amid normal conditions of dust, odors,
fumes, office lighting and noises.
15. Employees in this position are covered under the Department of Transportation Drug and
Alcohol testing provisions. This includes random testing.
16. This job is eligible for a hybrid in-office and work from home flexible work arrangement.
1. Read and interpret maps and engineering drawings, especially as they pertain to gas and
2. Prepare layouts and CAD drawings for gas and water main construction from instructions,
marked prints and sketches, as requested.
3. Enter record information from proposed and as-built drawings, completion reports, service
cards, and various other record sources into the District’s GIS.
4. Learn the District’s CAD and GIS standards, requirements and procedures to continually
improve personal CAD and GIS skills.
5. Research District and other records to obtain relevant information to include, but not
limited to, report discrepancies/variances found and facilitate changes as directed.
6. Clearly communicate gas and water facility record information (in various forms and by
various means) to District personnel and outside agencies.
7. Copy and file various engineering records for various purposes.
8. Comply with and understand all pertinent District policies and procedures.
9. Train in the duties of, and advance toward progression to, CAD Technician II.
10. Perform various other duties as assigned.
*Please ensure the application is filled out thoroughly to be considered for this position
An Equal Opportunity Employer “Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation”
September 22, 2023